Want to travel to the great State of South Carolina, but unsure of a travel destination that will satisfy your family needs? Well, I am here to provide you with a vacation spot in South Carolina that is sure to win over everyone in the family. As one of the “South’s Best Small Towns”, Beaufort, SC is the destination trip you are looking for. Located between Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC, Beaufort SC is rich in African American culture, Southern cuisine, charming amenities, and family-friendly attractions. Therefore, I am here to fill you in on ways you and your family can enjoy a vacation experience in Beaufort, SC.
How to Enjoy Beaufort, SC With Your Family
Great Stay = Great Vacay
To start any trip, we must first find the perfect place to stay during our travel, and Beaufort, SC has the ideal places that are fit for any Southern Belle and her family. Whether it’s the City Loft Hotel or Anchorage 1770, Beaufort, SC has places for you and your family to stay while also remaining walking distance to the downtown attractions of Beaufort.
- Check-in at City Loft Hotel if you and your family are wanting to stay in an upscale hotel with an urban feel, located in the middle of the designated National Historic Landmark District of Beaufort, SC, this hotel places you in the middle of many attractions, shopping excursions, and soulful restaurants.
- Anchorage 1770 is considered an upscale boutique inn located on Bay Street in Beaufort, SC. With a beautiful waterfront view of the Beaufort River and shopping and restaurants, just a quick walk away, this vacation stay is perfect for your family.
Experiences + Attractions
Once you and your family are all checked in at your hotel reservation, the adventures are next to begin. In the cozy town of Beaufort, many travelers have an array of lasting experience and fun attractions to choose from. From Dolphin Cruising with Coastal Expeditions or enjoying the African American historic value of the Penn Center, Beaufort, SC offers many different attractions to please the entire family. Check out these few suggestions below.
- Penn Center, located on St. Helena Island, SC, is an African-American cultural and educational center that expands on Gullah history; which is prominent in the Beaufort community, and also showcases African American leaders in the Lowcountry.
- Tabernacle Baptist Church, under the leadership of Rev. Kenneth Hodges, is one of few churches formed by African American members in 1861. Located on 907 Craven Street, you and your family can end your weekend vacation here at Tabernacle Baptist Church.
Photo retrieved from Tabernacle1863
- To help the kids enjoy their travel as well, Beaufort also provides the Kazoo Factory where kids and adults can build their own kazoo, while also partaking in the museum exhibits.
When you and your family begin your destination stay in Beaufort, you should include these known African American attractions to your itinerary.
Restaurants & Eateries
With any travel guide, we look forward to the cuisine we can try. In Beaufort, SC there are a few places that are owned by African Americans who provide tourists and locals with a full Gullah or Jamaican cuisine experience.
Johnnie Mae Chicken & Waffles, known for serving the very best Gullah Geechee & Soulfood in the low country and for being affordable, is the go to if you are interested in stewed turkey wings, fish baskets, or black eye peas.
An authentic Jamaican cuisine food truck in Beaufort, SC is Diced Pineapple. As an eatery that features jerk chicken, rice and beans, cabbage, and oxtails, you and your family will have many options for your family to choose from and enjoy as you stroll through downtown Beaufort.
Photos retrieved from https://m.facebook.com/dicedpineapple876/
Favorite Vacation Pass Times
Oftentimes we set aside time to go wherever we see fit for us to be and Beaufort is known for encouraging our passion exploration as well. Below are a few pass times or suggested places that each of you should partake in when there is some free time on your hand.
Art Galleries to Check Out While in Beaufort, SC
Lybenson’s Art Gallery located in Beaufort, SC
Legacy Art Gallery located in Beaufort, SC
Photos retrieved from https://m.facebook.com/LyBensons/
Photos retrieved from https://www.lisariversgallery.com
Each of these art galleries is owned by African Americans and all of them provide the public with artwork that focuses specifically on Gullah history. Their galleries are known for their vivid artwork that showcase the deep-rooted history of Gullah Geechee people in the Lowcountry and exhibits their tradition, spirituality, and focuses on the craftsmanship that has been passed down from generation to generation. While on your trip to Beaufort, maybe you and your family can find some Gullah art, antiques, and collectibles from these galleries for your travel souvenir.
Beaufort is known as one of the most historic cities in South Carolina and has been able to preserve their African American history to give your family a true Southern travel experience. With these few tips and suggestions, I am sure that you and your family will make memories and enjoy your Beaufort, SC experience.45