Being Black Southern Belles, doing and having certain things in your home is a necessity. Therefore, in the home of a Black Southern Belle, you are sure to find these two pieces of very important literature: your HBCU Alma Mater yearbook and cookbooks. With that being said, certain dishes require you follow extremely specific ingredients and directions so that you and your guests will chew and crunch on southern charm and swallow that good ol’ sweet, savory, southern soul each time you take a bite . Below are 5 cookbooks that a Black Southern Belle should have.
1. The Taste of Country Cooking- Edna Lewis
2. Sweetie Pie’s Cookbook: Soulful Southern Recipes, from My Family to Yours- Robbie Montgomery with Tim Norman
3. Down Home with the Neelys: A Southern Family Cookbook- Patrick and Gina Neely with Paula Disbrowe
4. The Up South Cookbook: Chasing Dixie in a Brooklyn Kitchen- Nicole A.Taylor
5. The Kitchen Diva’s Diabetic Cookbook: 150 Healthy, Delicious Recipes for Diabetics and Those Who Dine with Them- Angela Shelf Medearis